There is no dearth of books to learn about the lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender, and queer/questioning communities. In an effort to help our readers, we too have prepared a small list of books for our readers so that they too learn something this month. We hope this list helps one and all. Happy Pride month to all, once again!
- All Boys Aren’t Blue – George M. Johnson : This is a very powerful memoir about being black and queer and the intersection of those identities.
- Rainbow Milk – Paul Mendez: Rainbow Milk is a coming-of-age story, a raw and unfiltered look at race and religion, sex, and sexuality in modern Britain.
- Detransition, Baby – Torrey Peters: This book is a detailed character study of two trans women. Reese, who is navigating her way through a series of bad relationships, while all she really wants is a chance to become a mother.
- Stone Butch Blues – Leslie Feinburg: One of the best queer novels that take us back to the 1950s, a time replete with police raids, union riots, the Vietnam War, Stonewall, and more.
- Felix Ever After – Kacen Callander: A phenomenal young adult read which explores identity, race, sexuality/transgender identities, coming of age, bullying, the confusing emotions that teens go through, dreams and determination, friendship, and family dynamics.
- Nevada – Imogen Binnie: Particularly interesting book to read on how transparently and complexly Maria, the protagonist, takes on a kind of pedagogical role – for both James and the general reader – these “teaching moments” are complicated by anxieties and critical awareness of the diversity of trans- experience.
- In the Dream House – Carmen Maria Machado: In this extraordinarily candid and radically inventive memoir, Machado tackles a dark and difficult subject with wit, inventiveness, and an inquiring spirit, as she uses a series of narrative tropes—including classic horror themes—to create an entirely unique piece of work that is destined to become an instant classic.
8. Surrender Your Sons – Adam Sass: Surrender Your Sons is a mystery/thriller that expertly blends together humor, horror, and heart, in a wholly unique read like no other.
- Loveless – Alice Oseman: The fourth novel from the phenomenally talented Alice Oseman – one of the most authentic and talked-about voices in contemporary YA.
- Real Queer America – Samantha: A transgender reporter‘s narrative tour through the surprisingly vibrant queer communities sprouting up in red states, offering a vision of a stronger, more humane America.