Footballer-turned-sprinter Amlan Borgohain from Assam brought glory to the state when he set a new national record in Men’s 200m on Wednesday. The 23 year old super athlete from Assam clocked 20.52s in the 200m Men Finals in the Federation Cup at Calicut, Kerala. The earlier record was 20.63s, which was set by Muhammed Anas in 2018. With this performance, Amlan has also qualified for the 2022 Asian Games in Hangzhou.
It was a day of double joy for Assam as wonder girl Hima Das also won the gold in women’s 200m final.
Amlan’s performance has brought in a lot of positivity and the people of Assam are overjoyed. The last decade has been extremely promising for sports in North East India with various athletes shining in national and international levels. Assam Chief Minister Himanta Biswa Sarma also congratulated Amlan on his success.
Athletics was never Amlan’s first love. He wanted to be a footballer but destiny had other plans for him. His frequent injuries made him switch to athletics. A Cristiano Ronaldo and Sunil Chhetri fan, Amlan was spotted by James Hillier, the head coach at Reliance Foundation Odisha Athletics High-Performance Centre at Bhubaneswar. He realized Amlan’s potential during a school meet and things changed completely for him. Last year, Amlan grabbed national headlines when he won the 200m sprint at National Athletics Open, clocking 20.75 seconds.
Having performed well at the National level, Amlan’s next aim would be to better his performances in International events including the Asian Games.
- Meghalaya: FIRs against two FB users over ‘objectionable’ posts
- Meghalaya: CM transfers Rs 30 cr to 60k farm households under FOCUS+
- Shillong-based media org launches comics at Comic Con Bengaluru
- Meghalaya: CM Sangma increases honorarium for Anganwadi workers
- Mizoram govt to set up an agricultural product marketing committee
- Assam: A nail-biting finish to Servo Brainjam Quiz Fest 2022