Guwahati: The Assam Police has been able to freeze the illegally acquired properties of a suspected drug kingpin, probably for the first time in the country, a top official said on Monday.
The suspect was arrested last month from Karbi Anglong district.
“In a first, probably in the country, we moved competent authority to freeze the illegally acquired properties by druglord Baba Hazarika of Karbi Anglong,” Director General of Police Bhaskarjyoti Mahanta tweeted.
He added that it was done after a financial investigation was carried out by the Karbi Anglong Police.
“The precedence is set, a new frontier is opened in our fight against the menace of drugs. We SHALL overcome,” Mahanta said.
The Assam Police has been carrying out intensified operations against illegal drugs since the second BJP-led government, headed by Himanta Biswa Sarma, assumed charge in May last year.
- Missing Nagaland jawan found dead
- Change mindset to ensure Assam goes up development ladder by 2026: CM Sarma to officials
- Are the West’s sanctions against Russia actually working?
- COVID-19 can cause lasting lung damage – 3 ways long COVID patients’ respiration can suffer
- Verify credentials of foreign employers: MEA advisory following fake job offers in Myanmar
- India, CARICOM nations agree to work on global issues including climate change