Guwahati: Assam-born Rony Das has been rewarded by Google for reporting a bug in the Android Foreground Services, which could be exploited by someone to hack into user data.
Das, a cyber security expert, reported the bug to Google in May 2021 and after almost six months, Google rewarded him with $5000 USD for reporting the bug.
Das said he was creating a software when he faced some technical problems. He was trying to solve the issue which led him to the discovery of this particular vulnerability.
“As a recognition of your efforts, we would like to offer you a discretionary reward of $5000. Please note this is a one-time exception to our normal procedures as a thank you for the high-quality submission and follow up information you provided,” said an email from Google Android Security Team to Das.
Das said the bug he found defeats the purpose of having Android Foreground Services. His exploit bypasses this process and is able to access the hardware such as camera, microphone and location from the background without letting the user know or notifying anything.
Das further added that the bug has been fixed in the upcoming Android versions.
Asian Development Bank to help set up Assam Skill University
- Active Covid cases in country dip to 4,972
- For Manipur’s fencing hero Jetlee, Olympic is a destination, not a dream
- Nagaland: NSF issues ultimatum to nab culprits involved in Naga club vandalisation
- Mizoram: ZORO holds rally to express solidarity with Manipur tribals hit by violence
- A friendly pitch: How cricket found a home in Mizoram
- Manipur: Over 3,300 candidates appear for UPSC prelims in Imphal