Guwahati: Prime accused in the AASU leader Animesh Bhuyan’s mob lynching case Neeraj Das died in a road accident in Cinnamara Khariya Chuk, on the Jorhat-Mariani road on Tuesday night while trying to escape from police custody.
Neeraj Das was also believed to be involved in drugs trade and was being taken to identify certain spots from where the illicit cartels operated at around 1:30 am when he jumped from the police vehicle in an attempt to escape custody. He got hit by a second police vehicle that followed, which had lost control.
Three police personnel also sustained injuries in the accident and were rushed to Jorhat Medical College and Hospital where Das was declared dead.
Neeraj Das and 13 other suspects were taken into custody by Assam Police in connection with the murder of AASU leader Animesh Bhuyan who was beaten to death in Jorhat town.
Meanwhile, state Chief Minister Dr. Himanta Biswa Sarma condemned the brutal incident assuring that justice will be delivered soon.
- PM Modi lays foundation stone for Buddhist Culture in Nepal’s Lumbini
- Barak Valley to host ‘Borail Film Festival’ in January
- Assam: Gospel music night organised in Guwahati
- Brahmaputra cruise tourism gets boost, Waterways Authority signs MoUs
- Nagaland: The ‘stingless bee’ diversity hotspot of India
- US has made Pakistan a slave without invading it: Imran Khan