Darrang: An eviction drive at Dholpur no 3 area in Assam’s Sipajhar turned violent killing at least 3 persons and scores reportedly injured.
Over 500 people were reportedly being evicted when the incident occurred on Thursday. Police resorted to firing after being attacked by protestors and several rounds of rubber bullets and tear canisters were fired after the situation turned violent.
According to initial reports, at least 15 policemen sustained injuries in clashes that broke out between locals and police in Sipajhar-Dholpur area, after officials of the Darrang district administration reached the area for an eviction drive.
Several graphic videos also surfaced from the area. One of the videos shows a photographer being chased by a protestor with a stick.
The protestor was shot at and later battered by police during the clash between cops and ‘encroachers’.
A photographer was also seen hitting the incapacitated protestor and throwing punches.
On Thursday morning, when officials of the Darrang district administration supported by a huge contingent of armed security personnel reached Siajhar-Dholpur area to carry out an eviction drive, the locals protested.
With situation going out of hands, the police resorted to lathi-charge and later resorted to opening fire, resulting in death of at least three persons.
Number of casualties are likely to rise since the situation is still tense.
- Maha: Man held for duping shopkeepers by calling in woman’s voice
- Mizoram: 40,000 kg Areca nuts worth Rs 1.56 crore recovered
- BJP workers attacking Raijor Dal workers: Akhil Gogoi
- Vincent Pala’s statement on jhum cultivation not based on facts: NESFAS
- Denmark Open: PV Sindhu loses in quarters
- Bar Himanta from by-poll campaign: Cong leader writes to poll panel