Guwahati: A 71-year old man was trampled to death by a wild elephant at Digboi in Tinsukia district of Assam, an official said.
The person, identified as Chitranjan Chakraborty, was attacked by the wild elephant at Durgabari of Digboi range under Digboi Forest Division in the early hours of Wednesday, the official said.
On getting information, forest department personnel rushed to the site of the incident and conducted necessary formalities.
A detailed report of the incident will be submitted soon, he said.
The range officer provided assistance to the kin of the deceased in carrying out the last rites.
Compensation of Rs 4 lakh will be given to the next of kin of the victim by the Environment and Forest Department after receipt of post-mortem report and other documents, the official said.
On July 14, the Assam government had informed the Assembly that altogether 812 people have died due to man-elephant conflict across the state in the last 10 years.
- Nagaland women commission chief’s ‘Good Patriarchy’ jab sparks outrage
- BJP should apologise to people of Assam: Cong on EC warning to Sarma
- Khanapara Teer Result today: Winners of Khanapara Teer for October 27
- Shillong Teer Result today: Check winners of Shillong Teer for October 27
- Online Casino Software Explained
- Tejpal victim named & shamed, trial court order ‘retrograde’: Goa govt to HC