GUWAHATI: Veteran Assamese filmmaker Sambhu Gupta passed away on Sunday night due to COVID-19. He was 80 years old.
Gupta was admitted to Apollo Hospital in Guwahati on May 8 after testing positive for COVID-19. He was shifted to the ICU on May 10, as his health further deteriorated.
Gupta has directed popular Assamese feature films like ‘Devi’ and ‘Prem aru Prem’.
Sambhu Gupta’s son Niloy Dutta and daughter Pubali Gupta are also COVID-19 positive. While Niloy is under home isolation, Pubali is admitted in the ICU at Guwahati Medical College and Hospital (GMCH).
On Monday, Assam Chief Minister Himanta Biswa Sarma mourned the demise of the filmmaker on Twitter.
A tweet by @CMOfficeAssam says, ‘Chief Minister condoles the demise of filmmaker Sambhu Gupta and pays his sympathy to the bereaved family. Gupta’s death has left the cultural space of Assam with an unsurmountable void.’
Meanwhile, the number of active COVID-19 cases in Assam have escalated to 43,377. On Sunday the state recorded 3,650 positive cases and 56 deaths.
- Watch: Can Bar Tshangay Falls become Sikkim’s next tourism destination?
- Naga peace talks set to resume as interlocutor, Assam CM step in
- Mizoram: Chakma villages threaten strike over disbursal of grant money
- Arunachal Pradesh gets four more oxygen plants
- Utd Democratic Alliance: Opposition-less govt a reality in Nagaland
- I-T dept: Sonu Sood, associates evaded Rs 20 crore tax, violated FCRA