Port-Au-Prince (AP): Haiti’s interim government said Friday that it asked the U.S. to deploy troops to protect key infrastructure as it tries to stabilize the country and prepare the way for elections in the aftermath of the assassination of President Jovenel Mose.
We definitely need assistance and we’ve asked our international partners for help, Interim Prime Minister Claude Joseph told The Associated Press in an interview, declining to provide further details. We believe our partners can assist the national police in resolving the situation.
Joseph said that he was dismayed by opponents who’ve tried to take advantage of Mo se’s murder to seize political power an indirect reference to a group of lawmakers have declared their loyalty and recognized Joseph Lambert, the head of Haiti’s dismantled senate, as provisional president and Ariel Henry, whom Mo se designated as prime minister a day before he was killed, as prime minister.
“I’m not interested in a power struggle, Joseph said in the brief phone interview, without mentioning Lambert by name. There’s only one way people can become president in Haiti. And that’s through elections.
Joseph spoke just hours after the head of Colombia’s police said that the Colombians implicated in Mo se’s assassination were recruited by four companies and traveled to the Caribbean nation in two groups via the Dominican Republic. Meanwhile, the U.S. said it would send senior FBI and Homeland Security officials to help in the investigation.
Haitian National Police Chief L on Charles said 17 suspects have been detained in the brazen killing of Mo se that stunned a nation already reeling from poverty, widespread violence and political instability.
As the investigation moved forward, the killing took on the air of a complicated international conspiracy. Besides the Colombians, among those detained by police were two Haitian Americans, who have been described as translators for the attackers. Some of the suspects were seized in a raid on Taiwan’s Embassy where they are believed to have sought refuge.
At a news conference in Colombia’s capital of Bogota, Gen. Jorge Luis Vargas Valencia said four companies had been involved in the recruitment, the gathering of these people implicated in the assassination, although he did not identify the companies because their names were still being verified.
Two of the suspects traveled to Haiti via Panama and the Dominican Republic, Vargas said, while a second group of 11 arrived in Haiti on July 4 from the Dominican Republic.
In Washington, White House Press Secretary Jen Psaki said senior FBI and Department of Homeland Security officials will be sent to Haiti as soon as possible to assess the situation and how we may be able to assist.
The United States remains engaged and in close consultations with our Haitian and international partners to support the Haitian people in the aftermath of the assassination of the president, Psaki said.
Following Haiti’s request for U.S. troops, a senior administration official reiterated Psaki’s earlier comments that the administration is sending officials to assess how it can be most helpful, but added there are no plans to provide military assistance at this time.
The U.S. sent troops to Haiti following the last presidential assassination in the country, the murder of President Vilbrun Guillaume Sam in 1915 at the hands of an angry mob that had raided the French Embassy where he had sought refuge.
In Haiti, National Police Chief L on Charles said another eight suspects were still at large and being sought for Investigative Judge Cl ment No l told the French-language newspaper Le Nouvelliste that the Haitian Americans arrested, James Solages and Joseph Vincent, said the attackers originally planned only to arrest Mo se, not kill him. No l said Solages and Vincent were acting as translators for the attackers.
The same newspaper quoted Port-au-Prince prosecutor Bed-Ford Claude as saying he ordered an investigative unit of the National Police Force to interrogate all the security agents close to Mo se. These include Moise’s security coordinator Jean Laguel Civil and Dimitri H rard, head of the General Security Unit of the National Palace.
If you are responsible for the president’s security, where have you been? What did you do to avoid this fate for the president? Claude said.
The attack, which took place at Mo se’s home before dawn Wednesday, also seriously wounded his wife, who was flown to Miami for treatment.
Joseph assumed leadership with the backing of police and the military and declared a two-week state of siege. Port-au-Prince already has been on edge amid the growing power of gangs that displaced more than 14,700 people last month alone as they torched and ransacked homes in a fight over territory.
The killing brought the usually bustling capital to a standstill, but Joseph urged the public to return to work.
Vargas has pledged Colombia’s full cooperation, and authorities there identified 13 of the 15 Colombians implicated in the attack as retired members of the military, 11 captured and two killed. They range in rank from lieutenant colonel to soldier. (AP)
- Assam Rifles seize 240 bags of areca nuts worth over 46 lakh
- Sipajhar eviction drive: Police arrest photographer in video
- Assam is on state-sponsored fire: Rahul Gandhi on Sipajhar
- Sikkim reports 62 new COVID-19 cases, one more fatality
- Vaccine at home for differently-abled, people with restricted mobility: Govt
- Manipur: Tribal leader shot dead; Naga rights’ body condemns killing