Agartala: A Durga Puja pandal in Ujan Abhoynagar, situated in the outskirts of Agartala city, was completely destroyed by a fire on Wednesday. The incident is said to have been caused by a short-circuit.
The structure on which the Durga idol was to be placed during the Puja days was also consumed by the raging fire.
The organisers of the community Puja, the Blood Sun club, have alleged that the delayed response from the Fire Department was responsible for the devastation caused by the fire.
However, firefighters have refuted these allegations, stating that they swung into action within one and a half minutes to extinguish the fire.
Chief Minister Dr. Manik Saha expressed his concerns over the incident.
“I am deeply pained to hear that an under-construction Puja pandal of the Blood Sun club located in Ujan Abhoynagar suddenly caught fire,” Dr. Saha wrote on his social media handle, extending solidarity to the Puja organizers. He also appealed to the Puja organisers to follow all safety measures while carrying out construction work for the Puja.
Over the past four years, EastMojo revolutionised the coverage of Northeast India through our sharp, impactful, and unbiased coverage. And we are not saying this: you, our readers, say so about us. Thanks to you, we have become Northeast India’s largest, independent, multimedia digital news platform.
Now, we need your help to sustain what you started.
We are fiercely protective of our ‘independent’ status and would like to remain so: it helps us provide quality journalism free from biases and agendas. From travelling to the remotest regions to cover various issues to paying local reporters honest wages to encourage them, we spend our money on where it matters.
Now, we seek your support in remaining truly independent, unbiased, and objective. We want to show the world that it is possible to cover issues that matter to the people without asking for corporate and/or government support. We can do it without them; we cannot do it without you.
Support independent journalism, subscribe to EastMojo.
“I hope the Puja organisers will adhere to all safety protocols when construction work is underway all over the state,” he added. Sources said the unprecedented incident occurred when workers from Tripura’s government-owned power utility went to fix power issues in that particular area.
Later in the afternoon, Chief Minister Dr. Manik Saha, along with officials from the District Administration, visited the site and interacted with the Puja organisers.
Power Minister Ratan Lal Nath also visited the site, following the chief minister.
- Nagaland: Hornbill Festival begins in Kisama, thousands attend
- Manipur CM returns after signing historic peace pact with Centre, UNLF
- Shillong Teer Result today: Check winners of Shillong Teer for December 01
- Khanapara Teer Result today: Winners of Khanapara Teer December 01
- Meghalaya: Two-day gaming fest Odyssey kicks off in Shillong
- Mizoram: Protest against change in vote counting day sees low turnout