Agartala: A 28-year-old housewife killed herself after feeding acid to her one-and-a-half-year-old child in the remote Champamura area of Hadrai ADC village under the jurisdiction of the Teliamura police station under Khowai district of Tripura.
“Both of them died on spot,” police said.
“Prima facie evidence suggests that the housewife, identified as Fulrani Jamatia, poisoned her son — Ayush Jamatia — before killing herself. The mortal remains of the mother-son duo were found in an isolated area near their house,” police said.
A team under the leadership of the sub-inspector of Teliamura police station Nandan Bhowmik reached the spot as soon as the news was received.
“We received information that a mother and her son died in Telaimura’s Hadrai area. As we reached the spot, it was found that both of them appeared to have died of suicide. We have sent their bodies for post-mortem,” Bhowmik said.
Help sustain honest journalism.
“Primary investigation has revealed that the deceased lady and her husband were going through a rough patch in their relationship,” Bhowmik said on the possible reason behind the act.
Local sources said the deceased woman’s husband, Sambhu Jamatia, had deserted her and got married to another woman a few months back.
“She tried hard to win her husband back but was broken mentally when he refused to return. She ended her life because of all the mental suffering she was going through,” a family member of the deceased said.
- PIL filed in SC challenging Centre’s decision to ban BBC documentary
- UK PM Rishi Sunak sacks Tory party chief over tax penalty row
- Arunachal CM asks BJP workers not to allow ‘money culture’ during elections
- Widows of deceased employee entitled to family pension: Gauhati HC
- Assam: APDCL to hike power tariff by 50 paise per unit from February 1
- Sikkim to see rallies over SC verdict on Sikkimese Nepali