Agartala: Former Tripura chief minister Biplab Kumar Deb on Saturday expressed his gratitude to Prime Minister Narendra Modi after the BJP named him as its candidate for the Rajya Sabha bypoll in the state.
Deb will contest from the seat vacated by Manik Saha who replaced him as the chief minister in the run-up to the assembly polls in the state early next year.
“Gratitude to PM Narendra Modi Ji, BJP4India (BJP) President J.P.Nadda Ji & Home Minister Amit Shah Ji for nominating me as a BJP candidate for Rajya Sabha MP from Tripura,” Deb said in a social media post.
“I am committed to work for the development and welfare of Tripura and its people,” he added.
The bypoll is due on September 22 and Deb’s win is all but certain as the BJP has a majority in the assembly.
Deb is expected to file his nomination paper on Monday, the last date.
The BJP’s decision to name the 50-year-old as its Rajya Sabha candidate underscores its efforts to keep him in good humour after removing him as the chief minister.
Deb has also been made the in-charge of the party’s affairs in Haryana.
Former state finance minister Bhanu Lal Saha of the CPI(M) has already filed his nomination for the Rajya Sabha seat as the Left Front nominee.
The ruling BJP has 36 MLAs in the 60-member assembly while its ally IPFT has eight legislators. The CPI(M) has 15 MLAs and the Congress has one legislator.
- SC asks WhatsApp to publicise undertaking given to Centre in 2021
- Budget ‘anti-people’, ‘opportunistic’: Mamata
- Budget 2023 misses the mark for Northeast India’s industrial sector
- MSSSB: Mizoram student’s body protests over ‘jobs to Non-Mizos’
- Northeast industrial body hails Budget 2023 as ‘growth-oriented’
- Assam: G-20 delegates visit Kaziranga ahead of first series of events