Agartala: Newly-appointed Tripura Chief Minister Dr Manik Saha is set to contest the ensuing by-polls from 8-Bordowali assembly constituency of West Tripura district, a top source in the state BJP said on Thursday. This is the home constituency of Dr Saha.
According to officials, the polls are scheduled to be held before July 4 and there are altogether four poll-bound assembly constituencies. The 8-Bordowali assembly constituency is considered to be a stronghold of Congress leader Asish Saha.
Asish Saha won the 2018 assembly elections on a BJP ticket but he failed to complete his five years’ elected tenure in office. A close confidante of former BJP MLA and Minister Sudip Roy Barman, Asish Saha severed ties with the saffron party to join Congress.
The chief minister will be contesting the polls to retain the seat for the BJP while for ex-MLA Asish Saha the electoral fight is for survival.
Besides 8-Bordowali, three more assembly constituencies — 57-Yubaraj Nagar, 46-Surma and 06-Agartala – are set to go for polls during the by-polls.
- Two Pak fishermen nabbed off Gujarat coast, sustain bullet injuries during escape bid
- Manipur: Assam Rifles recovers cache of weapons in Churachandpur
- Arunachal: 526 kg of marijuana seized, one woman arrested
- Drug addiction affects society as a whole: Meghalaya DyCM
- Will Gorkhaland Territorial polls in Darjeeling usher in a new era?
- Use mapping to identify vulnerable areas in Silchar, suggests expert