Agartala: At a time when the Bharatiya Janata Party in Tripura is making every attempt to quell the rumblings within the state unit, a youth BJP leader was brutally murdered at the Karamchara area under Dhalai district of Tripura.
The deceased has been identified as Mihir Das, president of Bharatiya Janata Yuva Morcha (BJYM) of Karamchara Mandal.
According to the police, Das was returning home along with some of his party colleagues when they were allegedly attacked by unknown assailants late on Saturday night.
Police said all the people in the group were left grievously injured. Police said Das died due to heavy blows on the head by a heavy object.
Additional superintendent of police Dhalai district Binay Kishore Debbarma said, “Prima facie evidence suggests that he was brutally assaulted using tea branches. He succumbed to the injuries he sustained during the attack. His dead body was found near a bridge located at Bichitra Das Para.”
The police official told EastMojo that a number of accused persons have been identified and police had initiated operations to arrest them.
“All the accused are absconding. Search operations are underway and we’ll arrest them soon,” said Debbarma.
Speaking on the issue, BJYM spokesperson Amlan Mukherjee said, “Five BJP activists were attacked. Two of them are critical and still admitted at Dhalai district hospital. Two of them have been released after first aid while we lost Mihir Das. We have met the police and served them an ultimatum to arrest the culprits within next 24 hours otherwise the BJYM shall go for massive protests across the state.”
- World Sports Journalist Day 2022: History, significance and more
- On World UFO Day, a look at UFO ‘sightings’ in Northeast
- From Greenland shark to seafaring cockatoo: Meet 5 remarkably old animals
- Pak steeply hikes petrol prices under deal with IMF to revive bailout programme
- Meghalaya: Deputy CM meets protesting teachers, assures support
- Murmu has better chances to win prez polls after Maha development: Mamata