With just over a year to go for Tripura state elections, politics in the state is constantly heating up, especially after the emergence of the Trinamool Congress. In another shot in the arm for the Mamata Banerjee-led TMC, sitting MLA and BJP member Ashish Das quit the party and would officially join the TMC on October 31 once a few formalities are cleared.
Das joining the BJP does not come as a surprise to many. He had been the first BJP leader to criticise the Biplab Deb-led BJP government, the Tripura TMC chief pointed out.
Local sources said Das, who will join the party at a ceremony in presence of the party’s general secretary and MP Abhishek Banerjee on Sunday, will get a top spot in the party.
Earlier this month, Das hit the headlines when he shaved his head and took a holy dip in the Adi Ganga to perform an act of ‘penance’ before saying that he would join the TMC.
- MoU signed for promoting ‘Tripureswari’ tea brand of Tripura
- Why Ruptu Gogoi believes CWG is like Mt Everest for Lawn Bowls
- World’s first ‘parastronaut’. Will anyone be able to go to space one day?
- India’s presidency of G-20 a matter of pride for all citizens: PM Modi
- Shillong Teer Result today: Check winners of Shillong Teer for December 5
- Assam conservationists win big at Sanctuary Wildlife Awards