Agartala: Sonamura sub-divisional police officer (SDPO) Banoj Biplab Das was seriously injured while trying to arrest smugglers in Tripura‘s Sepahijala district on Thursday night.
The incident took place in Sonamura Sub-division when the SDPO’s car had a head-on collision with the vehicle of the accused.
According to the police, around 11 pm on Thursday, Kalamchaura police officer in-charge Bishnupad Bhowmik received a tip-off that a Bolero pickup truck bearing registration number TR03-H-1627 would be used to smuggle large quantities of drugs from Boxnagar Bazar to Bangladesh.
When the SDPO was informed about the matter, he sat with the police in Vaishnava Chowmuhani area. The smugglers saw the police officer’s car and started to drive at fast.
They even tried to flee by pushing a police car parked on the road. However, Das narrowly escaped.
As soon as they hit the car of the police officer, the smuggler’s vehicle overturned and fell on the paddy field on the side of the road.
The police personnel took the injured officer to the Boxanagar Primary Health Centre. He sustained severe injuries on his legs and hand and is currently undergoing treatment at the hospital.
The police seized the vehicle and recovered clothes worth Rs 10 lakh and contraband drugs. The driver of the vehicle fled the spot and the police have not yet made any arrests in connection with the incident so far.
The border area of Sepahijala district is the most notorious place in the state for smuggling of contraband drugs.
- Assam Rifles seize 240 bags of areca nuts worth over 46 lakh
- Sipajhar eviction drive: Police arrest photographer in video
- Assam is on state-sponsored fire: Rahul Gandhi on Sipajhar
- Sikkim reports 62 new COVID-19 cases, one more fatality
- Vaccine at home for differently-abled, people with restricted mobility: Govt
- Manipur: Tribal leader shot dead; Naga rights’ body condemns killing