Agartala: A day after two Border Security Force (BSF) jawans were killed in an ambush by extremists in Dhalai district, a jawan of the border guarding organisation allegedly died by suicide in Khowai district of Tripura.
The deceased jawan has been identified as Baburam Choudhury (41) from the 80th battalion and he was posted at the Paharmura Border Outpost (BOP) in Khowai district.
Speaking with reporters, a police officer said that the deceased jawan, along with three others, were on duty since 12 pm Tuesday.
“Baburam was in sentry, while three others were on duty along the border fencing area. According to his colleagues, he died by suicide around 5 am, just an hour before his duty was to get over,” the official said.
The deceased was a native of Jodhpur, Rajasthan.
“Prima facie, he died by suicide in the morning hours. We have lodged a case and are investigating the matter. We will speak with the family members and his colleagues from the BOP and headquarters to ascertain the reason behind his death,” the official added.
Earlier in 2019, a BSF jawan gunned down three of his colleagues before dying by suicide at Maguruli border outpost in Unakoti district.
Another imilar incident happened in 2018 when a BSF jawan allegedly killed two of his colleagues before dying by suicide.
Several attempts were made to contact the PRO of BSF Tripura Frontier. However, there was no response till the filing of this report.
- Northeast: Share a 2-minute video, show the world you are ‘Fit for Life’
- Assam BJP to enrol 18 lakh members
- PM CARES not government fund; works with transparency: HC told
- Bhabanipur bypoll: Man arrested for spreading communal WhatsApp texts
- Khanapara Morning Teer Result today: Winners of Khanapara lottery for September 23
- Assam: 45 high schools upgraded to higher secondary