Agartala: After promoting students of Classes 1 to 4, 6 and 7 to higher classes, the Tripura education department has announced to ‘provisionally promote’ students of Classes 5 and 8 to the next standard due to the prevailing COVID-19 situation.

Speaking with reporters, education minister Ratan Lal Nath said that the detention policy was scrapped by his government till Class 8. However, due to the current situation, classes were disrupted and examinations could not be conducted.

“We have decided to promote the students of Class 5 and 8 provisionally to higher classes. Once classes resume, evaluation of both the classes would be conducted by school authorities,” Nath said.

Tripura announced the closure of educational institutions in April. Since then, the schools, colleges and university are closed amid COVID-19 situation. However, after summer vacation, the schools are reopening from Friday in a restricted manner.

Nath also said that students of Class 9 and 11 would be promoted to higher classes and their marksheets would be prepared by awarding them highest marks obtained in any performing subjects to the non-performing subjects.

“If a student fails to secure 33 per cent marks in one or more subjects, they would still be given a pass mark to qualify in the concerned subject,” Nath added.

Tripura has a total of 1,87,744 students studying in these four classes including 51,827 students in Class 5, 52,659 students in Class 8, 53,176 students in Class 9 and 30,082 students in Class 11 across Tripura. All of them would be ‘provisionally promoted’ to higher classes.

Also read: COVID-19: Tripura extends Corona curfew in 6 civic bodies

Meanwhile, the education minister held a meeting with the authorities of 17 private schools at Siksha Bhavan and discussed several issues.

“Due to the coronavirus situation, we have requested the school authorities to reduce the bus fare by up to 60 per cent and waive all fees except for the tuition fees,” Nath added.

Earlier on May 19, the education department decided to promote the students from Classes 1 to 4 and 6 and 7 to the next class due to the prevailing COVID-19 situation.

The decision regarding the conducting of the board examination for Class 10 and 12 would be taken on June 14 during the high-level committee meeting. The education minister earlier had announced that the examination would be conducted in selective papers in case exams are conducted.



Latest Stories

Leave a comment

Leave a comment