AGARTALA: The husband of the 23-year-old victim of ‘moral policing’ committed suicide on Tuesday at his Birendra Chowmuhani Bazaar residence in South Tripura district.

The development comes two weeks after the Tripura police arrested 11 persons in the alleged ‘moral policing’ incident following the suo motu cognizance by the High Court of Tripura.

Speaking with EastMojo, South Tripura superintendent of police, Dr Kulwant Singh said that around 12 noon, Anand Tripura’s son saw his father scurrying on the floor of the house. The police were immediately informed.

Upon receiving the news, the police rushed to the spot and first took him to Manughat Primary Health Center. Later, he was rushed to Sabroom Hospital, where doctors declared him dead.

Related | Tripura: ‘Moral policing’ victim dies by suicide, HC takes suo motu cognizance

“His autopsy was conducted in the presence of a magistrate. Anand Tripura had been suffering from mental depression for the past few days,” Singh said.

Meanwhile, Sabroom police station officer in-charge Dulal Dutta said that Ananda Tripura often told family members that he would commit suicide in the same way that his wife died.

“He has committed suicide due to mental exhaustion. We have registered a case of unnatural death and started investigation,” Dutta said.

Earlier on May 04, Tripura’s 23-year-old wife had committed suicide after locals shamed and assaulted her on suspicion of having an illicit relationship with a local trader.

Obscene video clippings of the victim were also reportedly circulated among the villagers.

The incident happened after locals allegedly came to know about her relationship with a local trader while some had also photographed her with him.

The Sabroom police station had filed a suo motu case under Section 323,354,306 and 34 of Indian Penal Code (IPC) for abetting suicide.

Speaking with reporters earlier, Ananda Tripura had said that his wife was beaten up by the villagers in an arbitration meeting, which was headed by two right-wing leaders — Kamal Tripura and Sajal Tripura.

“During the meeting, the leaders showed the obscene video to the people, following which the village women started beating my wife. She could not take the pain and was forced to take the extreme step,” Anand had said.

Soon after the incident came to light, the High Court of Tripura took suo motu cognizance and directed the chief secretary, director general of police, superintendent of police and sub-divisional police officer (SDPO) to provide details before the court.

Related | Moral policing? Tripura woman thrashed by mob for ‘illicit affair’

Meanwhile, the High Court division bench on Monday was apprised about the development in the case and said that 11 persons were arrested so far and further investigation was underway in the case, after which the court fixed the matter to be heard on May 24.

Locals said that the family members were “facing threats” after lodging the complaint against local leaders.

However, the death of Anand Tripura has yet again raised questions on the role of the police and the security that was provided to him and the circumstances under which he died. The deceased person’s autopsy report is awaited.

Leave a comment

Leave a comment