Agartala: A 76-year-old man accused of raping a minor girl was arrested by the PR Bari police and sent to 14 days in judicial custody on Sunday. The accused was arrested based on a complaint filed by the mother of the victim on Friday.
Police said the accused has been booked under Section 376 (AB) of the IPC and Section 6 of Protection of Children from Sexual Offences (POCSO) Act.
Special Public Prosecutor Pravat Chandra Datta said the accused person was arrested by PR Bari police station for the gruesome act in Krishnapur area under Belonia Sub-division of South Tripura district.
Also read: Principal accused of rape arrested in Arunachal
He said a complaint was made with the PR Bari police station on Friday by the victim’s mother, based on which the 76-year-old person was arrested on Saturday.
According to the complaint, the incident happened on Thursday when the minor girl was alone at home. The elderly accused forced himself into the house and raped the girl, who later narrated the incident to her mother.
“The accused man was produced before the Belonia sub-division court with charges under section 376 (AB) of the IPC and Section 6 of the POCSO Act. The court, after hearing the case, has sent the accused to 14 days of judicial custody,” Datta said.
“The medical examination of the minor victim has been completed and the police are investigating the case,” Belonia sub-divisional police officer Soumya Debbarma said.
- Indian envoy in Canada cancels event due to security concerns
- NFI to organise Lamka Youth Summit 2023 across NE states
- Mizoram: Two women arrested with heroin worth Rs 60 lakh
- Meghalaya CM: 726 drug-related cases registered, 1,330 arrested
- Mizoram: Amit Shah to inaugurate Assam Rifles complex on April 1
- Football-crazy Manipur gets ready to host Indian team for first time