Agartala: A truck driver was dragged from his vehicle in the Lalcherri area under Ambassa police station of Dhalai district on Friday and lynched.
The 55-year-old, identified as Pradip Debnath, was beaten to death by some miscreants while he was on his way to Assam.
“The deceased was a resident of Teliamura in Khowai district. He had started his journey from Teliamura to Assam with his vehicle. He had taken a diversion from Teliamura due to ongoing construction in National Highway at Ambassa”, an on-duty police officer said.
The police also said that the deceased was reportedly stopped by some people and might have forced him to get down of his vehicle and beat him badly before leaving the place.
“The fire service was informed and the driver was rushed to the local hospital where the on-duty doctors declared him dead on arrival. Pradip also had a cash amount of Rs 40,000 with him, which was missing from the vehicle”, Ambassa sub-divisional police officer Ashis Dasgupta said.
“The reason behind the incident is yet to be ascertained. A case under Section 302 and 34 of Indian Penal Code (IPC) has been registered and investigation has begun”, Dasgupta added.
Earlier in December last year, a man suspected of being a thief was beaten to death by a mob after they caught him allegedly sneaking into a shop in the GBP market area.
- Making NE a strong economic zone important: Meghalaya CM
- Meghalaya home minister allays fears regarding HNLC diktat
- Delhi residents can now check real-time availability of burial, cremation sites
- More rain in store for Bengal; deluge likely in Darjeeling, Kalimpong
- Budding athletes from NE to get unique Diet scholarship
- Assam Cabinet approves measures to improve power connectivity