Agartala: Two persons have been arrested for allegedly masquerading as reporters and blackmailing and extorting money from leading doctors of the city by threatening to broadcast fake news against them in a YouTube channel, police said on Wednesday.
The two were arrested following complaints by Agartala Press Club.
Among those who had been targetted by the two racketeers were well known pathologist Sanjoy Nath, West Tripura district health officer Sangita Chakraborty and gastroenterologist Amitabha Roy, the police said.
They demanded as much as Rs one lakh from their preys and the doctors had contacted the Press Club for help.
Agartala Press Club secretary Pranab Sarkar said he called the sham reporters and the doctors and discussed the matter in front of other members of the club before handing over the two men to the police.
- Northeast India weather: Winter chill to give way to warmer days
- Guaranteed win: Ex-Tripura MLA’s family is contesting from 3 parties
- Nagaland 2023: Ceasefire board bans NSCN groups from carrying arms
- Death toll rises to 90 in Pakistan mosque suicide bombing
- Leprosy prevalence rate down to 0.45 per 10k population in 2021-22: Minister
- Sikkim Premier League begins with 8 football teams