Agartala: The Tripura police arrested a 28-year-old man on charges of raping and attempting to murder a 45-year-old in Melaghar area under Sepahijala district of the state.
Speaking with reporters, Melaghar police station officer in-charge Sukanta Bhattacharya said that the accused was identified as Maman Hussein, a daily wage labourer.
“The victim was on her way home from her brother’s house on Wednesday, when the accused forced into paddy field and allegedly raped her. He even tried to strangulate her to death, however, the victim managed to escape,” Bhattacharya said.
He also said that the victim was admitted to hospital and after getting treatment she was released.
A case was registered at Melaghar police station under section 342 (wrongful confinement), 376 (rape), 382 (theft after preparation of causing death), 307 (attempt to murder) of Indian Penal Code (IPC).
The accused person was arrested on Wednesday.
- Hunt for coronavirus variants: how the new one was found and what we know
- Tripura: 3-tier security for counting day, CPIM announces boycott
- Guwahati minor girl’s bravery, quick thinking foils kidnap bid
- Cannot be in situation where it is difficult to implement laws: Rijiju
- ICC calls off Women’s World Cup Qualifier over new COVID-19 variant
- Families stuck after sudden decision to ban flights to and from South Africa