Former chief secretary Yash Pal Singh was produced in the court on Saturday after completing 90 days of judicial custody 
Former chief secretary Yash Pal Singh was produced in the court on Saturday after completing 90 days of judicial custody |File image
TRIPURA

Tripura PWD scam: Former chief secretary Yash Pal Singh gets bail

Former Tripura chief secretary Yash Pal Singh was arrested from Uttar Pradesh on February 17 under various sections of the IPC and Prevention of Corruption Act

Chandan Panday

Chandan Panday

Agartala: The special court of West Tripura district and sessions court on Saturday granted bail to former chief secretary Yash Pal Singh after a long hearing, said senior advocate Pijush Kanti Biswas.

Speaking with EastMojo, Biswas said that the special court granted bail to Singh after the investigating officer failed to submit the charge sheet within 90 days of arresting the accused person.

An FIR against the former PWD minister Badal Choudhury, former chief secretary Yash Pal Singh and former PWD chief engineer Sunil Bhowmik was launched with the West Agartala police station on October 13 last year.

“While appearing for my other client Sunil Bhowmik, I had said that both Bhowmik and Singh are innocent and the PWD works were carried out with the approval and permission from the cabinet of then Left-Front government.

He also said that the cabinet of former chief minister Manik Sarkar had approved and it was informed to the court every time. However, the police kept on surpassing the truth by showing irrelevant figures and data.

“Later, the High Court Justice Arindam Lodh had ordered the police to record the statement of the accused persons and submit the statement, however the police delayed the process,” Biswas added.

Singh was arrested on February 17 from Gaziabad in Uttar Pradesh under Sections 409/201/120(B) of the IPC and Section 13 of the Prevention of Corruption Act, 1988.

Speaking further, Biswas said that the court granted bail to Singh as the investigating officer failed to submit the charge sheet. “The then cabinet secretary Sashi Prakash and AK Mangotra during the recording of their statement had informed that the project was appraised to the cabinet and after receiving approval from the state cabinet the construction had begin,” Biswas said.

The cabinet was appraised about the work tender answer price which the cabinet secretary had noted and are still available on record.

He also said that the police had informed the court of having sufficient evidence but now they have failed to prove either of the accused guilty.

The crime branch on February 21 had grilled the trio, former PWD minister Badal Choudhury, former PWD chief engineer Sunil Bhowmik and Former chief secretary in NCC police station with the documents and statement made by each.

Earlier, the court had granted bail to both Choudhury and Bhowmik, after being on jail custody for more than 87 days respectively. The police are also yet to file a chargesheet on the case even after four months of the high profile case.

The public prosecutor Ratan Dutta said that the special court inn Saturday granted bail to the former chief secretary with a bail found of Rs 5 lakh and condition that he would not temper the evidence against him and also remain present on hearing dates in the court.

For more such stories, follow us on Facebook, Twitter and Instagram. Activate Website Notifications to stay updated.

EastMojo
www.eastmojo.com