Tripura chief minister Biplab Kumar Deb visiting family members of deceased advocate Bhaskar Debroy
Tripura chief minister Biplab Kumar Deb visiting family members of deceased advocate Bhaskar Debroy|File image
TRIPURA

Tripura lawyer’s death: 2 govt doctors suspended over negligence

Dr Debashish Paul and Dr Ronit Das of GB Pant Hospital suspended over medical negligence that led to death of advocate Bhaskar Debroy in Agartala on Saturday

Chandan Panday

Chandan Panday

Agartala: The Tripura government has suspended two doctors over medical negligence that led to the death of advocate Bhaskar Debroy at GB Pant Hospital in Agartala on Saturday last week.

The two doctors have been identified as Dr Debashish Paul, medical officer of trauma centre, GB Pant Hospital; and Dr Ronit Das, medical officer at emergency ward of GB Pant hospital, the CMO informed.

The order came after chief minister Biplab Kumar Deb promised to take action against those found responsible for the death of Debroy.

Earlier, a medical audit team was constituted to look into all clinical aspects leading to the untimely death at GB Pant Hospital and a report was submitted to the chief minister on Wednesday.

The report of the audit team was submitted to the secretary of health and family welfare Debasish Basu on Tuesday and the same was submitted to the chief minister on Wednesday, informed sources from the secretariat.

Reportedly, the medical team during its inquiry recorded the statement of more than 15 medical staff and 2 doctors were found responsible for medical negligence for not providing the services to the deceased.

The audit team has proposed to suspend the two doctors for alleged medical negligence on duty that led to the death of the advocate, sources confirmed.

Meanwhile, the division bench of the High Court on Thursday issued a notice to the state government asking to submit all reports of investigation over the mysterious death of the advocate.

The counsel of the deceased family Purushottam Roy Barman said that the division bench headed by chief justice AA Kureshi heard the case and fixed the next date of hearing on March 23.

Earlier, the family members alleged that there was negligence on the part of doctors on duty and health staff. Taking note of their statements, the chief minister assured them of taking all necessary steps. He also assured that the government would take stern action if any negligence is proved in the magisterial probe. He also said the matter of providing any financial or other assistance to the bereaved family is under consideration.

For more such stories, follow us on Facebook, Twitter and Instagram. Activate Website Notifications to stay updated.

EastMojo
www.eastmojo.com