Agartala: The Tripura police on Thursday arrested three policemen, including the personal guard of Tripura social welfare and social education minister Santana Chakma, and seized heroin worth Rs 1 lakh from their possession from a jungle in Kanchanpur sub-division of North Tripura district.
Speaking with EastMojo, Kanchanpur sub-divisional police officer (SDPO) Bikramjit Shukla Das said that acting on a tip-off, the police conducted an operation in the forest area and caught the three of them with the contraband items.
“Three of them were caught red-handed with heroin and we seized 148 small containers and a packet containing drugs worth Rs 1 lakh,” Das said.
He also said that during interrogation, they were identified as Narrotam Chakma, a constable posted in Kanchnpur court; Dilip Kumar Chakma, a police constable; and Sanjib Debbarma, a rifleman in the Tripura State Rifles (TSR).
He also said that one of the three detained persons, Dilip Kumar Chakma was identified as the persona guard of social welfare and social education minister Santana Chakma.
SP (civil security) Bijoy Debbarma confirmed that Dilip Chakma was posted as the personal guard of the minister and informed that he was on leave.
Interestingly, two of them were in uniform when they were caught with the contraband items by the team of Kanchanpur police.
All three of them would be produced in court on Friday.
- NEDA convener Himanta Biswa Sarma to visit violence-hit Manipur
- Manipur: Assam Rifles organises peace meet in Jiribam and Tamenlong
- Meghalaya: Rape accused convicted in West Garo Hills, gets 20 years in jail
- Pact inked to train Nagaland school teachers on disaster management
- Three more people killed, 2 injured in fresh violence in Manipur
- Manipur’s Naga MLAs want status quo in Naga tribal areas