Agartala: Tension prevailed at a Tripura State Rifles (TSR) camp in Tulashikhar area of west Tripura after an angry mob set a vehicle on fire and ransacked the place on Tuesday evening.
As per reports, the brick-laden tipper truck (bearing registration number, TR01-N-1669) was earlier involved in a head-on collision with a motorcycle that claimed the life of its rider, Takhirai Debbarma (28), near Goltilla School in Khowai area.
Sensing public outrage, the driver tried to flee the spot and wanted to take shelter at the nearby 10th Bn camp of the TSR along with the vehicle and three labourers. However, the local people managed to stop the vehicle just outside the TSR camp premises before setting it on fire and thrashing the driver and the three other occupants.
“DSP Parshun Tripura and OC Uttam Debbarma were present in the camp but they failed to react on time. The vehicle was set on fire in front of the jawans at the TSR camp,” said sources.
However, the timely action of SP Khowai Krishnendu Chakravertty managed to control the situation, the sources added.
- Earth observation satellite in orbit, ISRO terms mission ‘unique’
- Assam lifts travel restrictions to Meghalaya, six days after border violence
- Manipur IRB jawan on Gujarat poll duty shoots dead 2 colleagues
- Why do kids bully? And what can parents do about it?
- Assam: 50 students fall ill after taking iron folic acid tablets
- G20 presidency will also be celebrated in Manipur: EAM Jaishankar