Agartala: Tension prevailed at a Tripura State Rifles (TSR) camp in Tulashikhar area of west Tripura after an angry mob set a vehicle on fire and ransacked the place on Tuesday evening.
As per reports, the brick-laden tipper truck (bearing registration number, TR01-N-1669) was earlier involved in a head-on collision with a motorcycle that claimed the life of its rider, Takhirai Debbarma (28), near Goltilla School in Khowai area.
Sensing public outrage, the driver tried to flee the spot and wanted to take shelter at the nearby 10th Bn camp of the TSR along with the vehicle and three labourers. However, the local people managed to stop the vehicle just outside the TSR camp premises before setting it on fire and thrashing the driver and the three other occupants.
“DSP Parshun Tripura and OC Uttam Debbarma were present in the camp but they failed to react on time. The vehicle was set on fire in front of the jawans at the TSR camp,” said sources.
However, the timely action of SP Khowai Krishnendu Chakravertty managed to control the situation, the sources added.
- Sikkim clears mandatory COVID-19 checking at border points
- Centre to set up steel stockyard in Tripura SEZ: Minister
- Khanapara Morning Teer Result today: Winners of Khanapara lottery for September 25
- Assam cabinet approves Rs 209 cr to streamline revenue administration
- Shillong Morning Teer Result today: How to check winners of Shillong lottery for September 25
- UPSC: Two candidates from Tripura clear final hurdle