In a major development with regard to one of India’s longest protests by farmers, Prime Minister Modi on Friday announced that the three controversial farm laws will be repealed and that the process of same will begin shortly in the next parliament session.
The three laws were the cause of massive protests across the country for over a year. The announcement came just months ahead of Uttar Pradesh and Punjab elections on the day of Guru Purab, when Sikhs across the country are celebrating the birth of Guru Nanak.
While addressing the nation this morning, Prime Minister Modi began with defending the laws saying they were meant as reforms, mainly for small and marginal farmers in the country and while some farmers were convinced, many were not.
Thousands of farmers have been camping outside Delhi since November 2020, demanding that the laws be withdrawn. The PM urged all farmers to head back home on the day of Guru Purab.
The announcement made Twitterati congratulate farmers for their relentless efforts as they sent out wishes to them on this massive victory. Here’s how netizens have been reacting to the decision.
Netizens are also retweeting the ‘prophetic’ speech that Rahul Gandhi had made earlier this year saying that the government will have to take back the ‘anti-farm’ laws.
- Mirabai Chanu wins silver at World Championship despite wrist issue
- Egam Basar: Arunachal scientist on a mission to revive dying water bodies
- Rs 387cr 4-lane Dimapur-Kohima road to be ready this year: Gadkari
- Manipur: Six cops among 9 injured during eviction drive in Kangpokpi
- Garena’s Free Fire Max Redeem Codes for 7 December, 2022
- Naga peace: NPF leader demands final solution before Christmas