After Fab India, now Dabur has withdrawn its controversial advertisement featuring a lesbian couple celebrating Karwa Chauth. The ad promoting a Fem beauty product was pulled down after Madhya Pradesh Home Minister Narottam Mishra issued the brand a warning.
Calling the ad ‘objectionable’, the minister threatened to take legal action against Dabur. Calling the matter a serious one, the minister said the advertisement showed lesbians celebrating ‘Karva Chauth’ and in future they would show men taking ‘feras’.
“Fem’s Karwachauth campaign has been withdrawn from all social media handles and we unconditionally apologise for unintentionally hurting people’s sentiments,” posted Dabur India Ltd via its official Twitter handle.
Earlier, on October 25, Dabur stood its ground saying that Dabur and Fem as a brand strive for diversity, inclusion and equality and that they proudly support these values in their organisation and communities and their campaigns reflect the same while also apologizing to those who may have been offended by their gender inclusive ad.
“We understand that not everyone will agree with our stance, and we respect their right to hold a different point of view. Our intention is not to offend any beliefs, customs and traditions, religious or otherwise. If we have hurt the sentiments of any individual or group, it was unintentional, and we apologise. We are also humbled by everyone who have showered their support for the brand and the campaign,” the company shared in a tweet.
Here’s how netizens reacted to the ad when it first came out and after the company withdrew the same from all platforms.
- Assam: Guwahati’s air quality slips into ‘poor’ category
- Surrogate mother may not be genetically related to child born: Centre to SC
- World’s first environmental clean-up happened 400 million years ago
- JAC seeks clarity on ‘Sikkimese’ definition after SC’s revised order
- 10 Indians stuck in remote areas of quake-hit Turkey, but safe: MEA
- Assam: Chenga MLA Ashraful Hussain accused of kidnapping, harassing girl