Imphal: Manipur police has averted a major tragedy by recovering and defused an Improvised Explosive Device (IED) at the Telipati area under Porompat police station in Imphal East on Tuesday morning.
According to sources, the suspected bomb wrapped in black package was recovered at about 6 am on Tuesday near the entrance to a grocery godown owned by one Ramnath Sahu, a businessman.
An anti-bomb squad was called to defuse the IED and the road along the stretch from Minuthong to Hapta in Telipati was closed for traffic movement from 8:30 to 10:30 am.
Later, the remote controlled bomb weighing around 5 kg was successfully defused by a police bomb squad, it added.
Also Read | For Zo refugees fleeing Bangladesh, BSF beating, ‘Mizoram is only hope’
- Indian envoy in Canada cancels event due to security concerns
- NFI to organise Lamka Youth Summit 2023 across NE states
- Mizoram: Two women arrested with heroin worth Rs 60 lakh
- Meghalaya CM: 726 drug-related cases registered, 1,330 arrested
- Mizoram: Amit Shah to inaugurate Assam Rifles complex on April 1
- Football-crazy Manipur gets ready to host Indian team for first time