In a horrific incident, several villagers were killed by security forces after being mistaken for insurgents on the Tiru-Oting road near Oting village in Mon district of Nagaland. A security force jawan also died in the incident.
Sources told EastMojo that 13 bodies were recovered till the filing of this report, and a search operation is still on. About 7-8 injured persons have been admitted for medical care. More details are awaited.
The state security forces planned an ambush on the villagers, mistaking them to be militants acting on a tip-off. The massacre of villagers made outraged locals, following which an angry mob surrounded the security forces.
The forces then reportedly opened fire at the mob in ‘self-defence’ after which several villagers sustained injuries, and some security vehicles were also set on fire.
Nagaland CM Neiphiu Rio took to Twitter, sending condolences to families of the deceased and wishing those injured a speedy recovery. He also informed that a High-Level SIT would investigate the case, and justice would be delivered to the people.
The CM further urged people to maintain peace and harmony in the state.
Union Minister Amit Shah too expressed his deepest condolences to those who lost their lives and informed of a high-level SIT to be constituted by the state to probe the incident.
- Entire nation’s eyes on us: Tata Sons chairman to AI employees
- Assembly polls: Public meetings for first phase in UP from Friday
- Meghalaya CM breaks silence over attending R-Day celebrations
- Assam: Ex-Gorkha rebels surrender, hope for peace in border area
- Firing along Assam-Arunachal border: Sarma tells officers to resolve fracas
- Sikkim reports 112 new COVID-19 cases, 2 more deaths