In a horrific incident, several villagers were killed by security forces after being mistaken for insurgents on the Tiru-Oting road near Oting village in Mon district of Nagaland. A security force jawan also died in the incident.
Sources told EastMojo that 13 bodies were recovered till the filing of this report, and a search operation is still on. About 7-8 injured persons have been admitted for medical care. More details are awaited.
The state security forces planned an ambush on the villagers, mistaking them to be militants acting on a tip-off. The massacre of villagers made outraged locals, following which an angry mob surrounded the security forces.
The forces then reportedly opened fire at the mob in ‘self-defence’ after which several villagers sustained injuries, and some security vehicles were also set on fire.
Nagaland CM Neiphiu Rio took to Twitter, sending condolences to families of the deceased and wishing those injured a speedy recovery. He also informed that a High-Level SIT would investigate the case, and justice would be delivered to the people.
The CM further urged people to maintain peace and harmony in the state.
Union Minister Amit Shah too expressed his deepest condolences to those who lost their lives and informed of a high-level SIT to be constituted by the state to probe the incident.
- Driver, helper killed as truck falls into roadside ditch in Bengal
- NIA arrests trafficker in West Bengal fake currency notes case
- Gavaskar wants Rishabh Pant to succeed Kohli as Test skipper
- Maharashtra: 4 held for shooting dead doctor in Yavatmal
- Australia beats England by 146 runs, completes 4-0 Ashes win
- COVID-19: India’s R value drops to 2.2 between January 7 and 13