Gangtok: Chief Justice Biswanath Somadder, presently serving as the Chief Justice of Meghalaya High Court, is likely to take charge as the new Chief Justice of Sikkim High Court.
The appointment comes after the former Chief Justice of Sikkim High Court, Jitendra Kumar Maheshwari, was elevated as the judge of the Supreme Court. Somadder had been serving as the Chief Justice of the Meghalaya High Court since April 2020.
58-year-old Somadder was appointed as Judge in Calcutta High Court in 2006. From October 2019 to April 2020, he served as Chief Justice of Allahabad High Court.
The Supreme Court collegium on Friday has cleared the appointment of regular chief justices in eight high courts across the country in an important move aimed at making the administration of constitutional courts more efficient.
Eight out of 25 high courts in the country were working without regular chief justices.
- 67th National Film Awards: Here’s a list of winners being awarded
- Won’t hesitate to seek foreign help for relief: PM Deuba on Nepal floods
- Rajinikanth receives Dada Saheb Phalke award
- Kashmiri, UP, Bihar students scuffle at Punjab college after India-Pak match
- After historic high vs India, Pakistan seek revenge on New Zealand
- Meet Manipur’s Sister Christina, who administered 15,000 vaccine doses