The Narendra Modi government announced the biggest cabinet reshuffle since it returned to power in India in 2019. There were major changes, especially in key portfolios like Health, Civil Aviation and Railways. The Ministry of Finance, Defence and Home, however, remained untouched.
Here’s a list of all the new ministers along with their portfolios. The Northeast got five ministers in the reshuffle with former Assam Chief Minister Sarbananda Sonowal joining Arunachal leader Kiren Rijiju as a cabinet minister. Rijiju, who was heading the Sports Ministry, is now the Minister for Law and Justice.
Prime Minister Narendra Modi will be in charge of the Ministry of Personnel, Public Grievances and Pensions; Department of Atomic Energy; Department of Space; all important policy issues; and all other portfolios not allocated to any Minister. Amit Shah will be Minister of Home Affairs and Minister of Cooperation.
Here’s the full list:
- IndiGo starts operating flights on Imphal-Shillong route
- Mizoram churches condole death of Assam Police personnel in border clash
- Won’t allow illegal coke factories in East Jaintia Hills: MLA Kyrmen Shylla
- Independent committee to probe ‘rice scam’: Meghalaya govt
- Boundary row: Mizoram Youth Congress seeks President’s intervention
- The Optics of India’s ‘Chinky’ medalists at the Olympics