New Delhi: Indian boxer Nikhat Zareen breezed into the World Boxing Championships final with a dominating victory over Brazil’s Caroline De Almeida in Istanbul, on Wednesday.
Zareen, who is a former junior world champion, stayed calm and completely dominated her rival for a 5-0 win by unanimous decision in the last-four bout of the 52kg competition.
Six-time champion MC Mary Kom, Sarita Devi, Jenny RL and Lekha C are the only Indian women boxers who have won world title and now Hyderabad based Zareen has the opportunity to join the elite list.
India’s best performance in the event came in 2006 when the country snared eight medals, including four gold, one silver and three bronze.
In the last edition, four Indian boxers returned home with medals Manju Rani clinched the silver, while Mary Kom bagged an unparalleled eighth world medal in the form of a bronze.
Later in the day, Manisha Moun (57kg) and Parveen Hooda (63kg) will compete in their respective semifinals.
- Navratri 2022: Greetings and wishes to share with friends and family
- National Dumpling Day: 5 types of dumplings you should definitely try
- Pakistan’s former fin min Dar to return, take charge next week
- World seeing India as inspirational place in space sector: ISRO chief
- Nature, life’s race among myriad Durga puja themes set to captivate minds
- Defence exports grew by 334 pc in last five years: Centre