India had to share points with Iran as the Group A match of the AFC Women’s Asian Cup India 2022, played in the D Y Patil Sports Stadium ended in a goalless draw. The much awaited 20th edition of the AFC Women’s Asian Cup began on Thursday in India.
The 2022 AFC Women’s Asian Cup will be held across three venues in India, featuring a total of 12 teams divided in 3 groups, contesting for the coveted title. Hosts India is placed in Group A, along with China PR, Chinese Taipei and IR Iran.
India played a dominating game and created several opportunities throughout the match. Barring the initial 20 minutes, when Iran did create some challenges and looked like breaking the deadlock, the game was completely controlled by India. But there was lack of co-ordination and the Blue Tigresses failed to convert the opportunities. Indumathi Kathiresan was undoubtedly the standout player.
Despite not being able to secure a win, the effort of the team was applauded.
Here’s how Twitterati reacted to this crucial match:
- Clear encroached land of Assam Vaishnavite monasteries, panel urges govt
- Bengal: 2 killed, many injured in blast near venue of TMC’s Abhishek Banerjee’s rally
- Sylhet-Silchar Festival: Looking for more cooperation with India, says B’desh FM
- West Bengal: Kolkata to shut all hookah bars
- Rising People’s Party urges PM to impose Prez rule in Nagaland
- Assam youth dies in Mumbai after falling from 23-storey building