Tokyo: The Indian women’s hockey team scored a late goal to eke out a narrow 1-0 victory over Ireland in a must-win penultimate pool match to stay alive in the Olympics here on Friday.
Needing a win to keep their hopes alive after three consecutive losses, India waited anxiously for 57 minutes before Navneet Kaur scored the winner to keep her side in the hunt for a quarterfinal berth.
India will now need to win their final Pool A match against South Africa on Saturday and hope for Ireland to face defeat at the hands of Great Britain to seal their quarterfinal berth.
The top four teams from each pool qualify for the knockout stage.
- Shenzhou-12 astronauts back on Earth after China’s longest space mission
- Khanapara Teer Result today: Winners of Khanapara lottery for September 17
- Need to increase mineral exploration in eastern states, says Centre
- Meghalaya Lottery September 17: Check Future Drought Morning lottery result
- COVID-19 recoveries outpace fresh cases in Arunachal
- PM Modi turns 71; dignitaries, politicians extend wishes