It has been a lovely start to the day as Assam’s golden girl Lovlina Borgohain created history. Lovlina defeated Nien-Chin Chen in her quarterfinal bout of Women’s welterweight category 4-1 and moved to the semifinals. This confirms at least a bronze medal. Lovlina was dominant from the word go and not for a single moment looked under pressure. She was there to win. As she becomes the first from the state to be assured on an Olympic medal, let us look at some of the high points of her career so far.
- She was first attracted to boxing when in her 6th or 7th class at school. Her dad had brought her a paper cutting where there was an article about Muhammad Ali. Her dad told her more about Ali and the sport which eventually got her more interested.
- Lovlina’s formal entry into the world of boxing happened in the year 2012. She had met the then boxing coach of the Sports Authority of India, Guwahati Region, Mr. Podum Boro and there has been no looking back since then.
- She first shot into national fame when she had won the bronze medal in the 2017 Asian Boxing Championships in the Women’s Welterweight category.
- Her biggest achievements, before the Tokyo Olympics happened, were the 2 World Championship bronze medals that she had won in the Welterweight category. She won the first one at the 2018 AIBA Women’s World Championships in New Delhi, and the second one at Ulan-Ude, Russia in 2019.
- Lovlina Borgohain also received the prestigious Arjuna Award, in 2020 for her exemplary performances and her contribution to boxing. When Lovlina qualified for the Tokyo Olympics, she became the first Assamese woman boxer and the second Assamese after Shiva Thapa to take part in the Olympics.
Lovlina’s journey is not over yet. She will now take part in the semi-finals and given the form she is in, anything can happen. Let us just hope for the best.
- ‘Hotel Rwanda’ hero sentenced to 25 years on terror charges
- Rasik Mohan Chakma removed for holding ‘office of profit’
- BTS at UNGA: ARMY call them inspiration for future generations
- BJP worker trampled to death by elephants in Assam
- Heroin worth Rs 3.5 crore seized in Assam’s Karbi Anglong
- Assam Jobs: DEE Assam announces 9354 teacher vacancies, see details