India did not have to wait long for opening their medal account at the Olympics. Mirabai Chanu ended India’s 21-year wait for a weightlifting medal at the Olympics by clinching a silver medal in the 49kg category to open the country’s account here on Saturday.
The 26-year-old lifted a total of 202kg (87kg+115kg) to better Karnam Malleswari’s bronze in the 2000 Sydney Olympics. With this, she exorcised the ghosts of the 2016 Games where she had failed to log a single legitimate lift.
Twitter erupted with joy and celebrities and common people rushed to congratulate the Manipuri weightlifter for her extraordinary achievement.
Prime Minister Narendra Modi was quick to offer his wishes and congratulatory message:
People shared how Chanu’s match was being followed by both young and old alike:
Of course, Manipur people were extremely excited and had gathered in large numbers to watch her match.
Of course, Twitter is unlikely to not see the humour in this too.
- Sikkim floods: 10 dead, 82 missing, 14 bridges collapse
- Arunachal CM expresses sadness, shock at Sikkim floods
- Sikkim Police notifies road situation; check details here
- Handkerchief or tissue? Which one’s better for our health and the planet?
- Assam: Half marathon event to be held on Oct 29 in Dibrugarh
- RBI approves merger of North East Small Fin Bank, fintech unicorn Slice