India did not have to wait long for opening their medal account at the Olympics. Mirabai Chanu ended India’s 21-year wait for a weightlifting medal at the Olympics by clinching a silver medal in the 49kg category to open the country’s account here on Saturday.
The 26-year-old lifted a total of 202kg (87kg+115kg) to better Karnam Malleswari’s bronze in the 2000 Sydney Olympics. With this, she exorcised the ghosts of the 2016 Games where she had failed to log a single legitimate lift.
Twitter erupted with joy and celebrities and common people rushed to congratulate the Manipuri weightlifter for her extraordinary achievement.
Prime Minister Narendra Modi was quick to offer his wishes and congratulatory message:
People shared how Chanu’s match was being followed by both young and old alike:
Of course, Manipur people were extremely excited and had gathered in large numbers to watch her match.
Of course, Twitter is unlikely to not see the humour in this too.
- Bhabanipur bypoll: Man arrested for spreading communal WhatsApp texts
- Khanapara Morning Teer Result today: Winners of Khanapara lottery for September 23
- Assam: 45 high schools upgraded to higher secondary
- NE has been converted into heartland from hinterland: Union minister
- Kashmiri tycoon Sahil Zaroo in jail for ‘raping’ NE girl, bail hearing today
- Twitterati take farmers’ protest online, urge UN to intervene