Tokyo Olympic Games organisers unveiled the statues of the Olympic mascots on Wednesday to mark the 100-day countdown to the start of the mega event.
The event launching mascots ‘Miraitowa’ and ‘Someity’ took place amid growing concern about the rising numbers of coronavirus cases in the country.
An opinion poll released on Monday by the Japanese news agency Kyodo showed that 39.2 per cent of respondents said the Olympics should be cancelled, about 33 per cent called for a second postponement while only 24.5 per cent thought the games should go ahead.
COVID-19 cases have been on the rise in many parts of the country, and Japan only began its vaccination programme this week, meaning vast swathes of the nation would remain unvaccinated when Olympics begin on 23 July.
- Tripura: Two BSF jawans killed, one injured following scuffle
- Biden to host Indo-Pacific leaders as China concerns grow
- Khanapara Morning Teer Result today: Winners of Khanapara lottery for September 24
- Shillong Morning Teer Result today: How to check winners of Shillong lottery for September 24
- Congress issues show-cause notice to 212 workers in Assam
- Arunachal police arrest TV actor for running pornography website