Guwahati: Sikkim Police has issued a report on the current road conditions in light of the deluge.
A Glacial Lake Outburst Flood (GLOF) originating from portions of Lhonak Lake in the Mangan District of North Sikkim has triggered a catastrophic event, leading to the rise of water levels with astonishing velocities downstream along the Teesta River Basin.
Details of the road situation is listed below:
- District Court, Gangtok via Tamang Gumpa blocked
- Singtam to 32 No. One way clear at 14 Mile
- Singtam to Rangpo blocked at 19 Mile.
- Singtam to Dikchu blocked.
- Singtam to Sang cleared.
According to the police, all the rest of the roads are clear/Jeepable under Gangtok
- Barapathing to Chochen road blocked at 4th Mile.
- Rangpo to Rorathang Road cleared for light vehicles only.
- Pakyong to Rorathang Road blocked at below airport. Alternative route via Nop Gaon-Dughalakha.
Rest all roads clear/Jeepable under Pakyong District.
- Mangan to Dikchu blocked near Phidang Bridge.
- Mangan to Gangtok via Phodong Road cleared.
- Mangan to Chungthang Road blocked at Toong Bridge Pakyong (Toong And Above Road could not be updated because of lack of communication). Rest all roads cleared/Jeepable under Mangan District.
- Ravangla to Yangang blocked at Goguney.
- Bermiok to Namchi via Phongla blocked near Vedghari.
- Jorethang to Melli blocked at Thulo Golalmazitar & 10th Mile.
- Namchi to Rangpo via Namthang-Mamring blocked at Narak-Jhora.
- Namchi To Singtam via Damthang-Temi blocked at Gammon Bridge and Indreni Bridge
- Ravang to Legship blocked near Tree House.
- Namchi to Jorethang via Denchung cleared.
- Namchi to Melli via Kitam cleared. Rest all roads clear/jeepable.
- Dentam to Pelling/Gyalshing road blocked at Bb Lall Bridge Dentam. Alternative Road via Intake.
- Uttarey to Sopakha Road blocked. Rest all roads are clear/ Jeepable under Gyalshing District.
Over the past four years, EastMojo revolutionised the coverage of Northeast India through our sharp, impactful, and unbiased coverage. And we are not saying this: you, our readers, say so about us. Thanks to you, we have become Northeast India’s largest, independent, multimedia digital news platform.
Now, we need your help to sustain what you started.
We are fiercely protective of our ‘independent’ status and would like to remain so: it helps us provide quality journalism free from biases and agendas. From travelling to the remotest regions to cover various issues to paying local reporters honest wages to encourage them, we spend our money on where it matters.
Now, we seek your support in remaining truly independent, unbiased, and objective. We want to show the world that it is possible to cover issues that matter to the people without asking for corporate and/or government support. We can do it without them; we cannot do it without you.
Support independent journalism, subscribe to EastMojo.
All roads are clear/jeepable under Soreng District.
- 19th Mile, near Singtam.
- Melli, West Bengal to Siliguri blocked at 29th Mile.
- Likhay Bhir, near Teesta, West Bengal.
- Melli, Sikkim to Gangtok blocked near Melli Bazar, West Bengal.
- What happens after net zero? The impacts will play out for decades
- Manipur: Vatican ambassador to India visits relief camp in Imphal
- Tripura BJP appoints “feedback gatherers” for 20 tribal seats
- Manipur: Police rescue abducted student; 8 held
- Nagaland: Ahead of Hornbill finale, festival goers face traffic woes
- LPG transporters suspend indefinite strike, cooking gas supply to continue