Gangtok: In a shocking incident, an Army truck skidded off the road and fell into the Teesta River around 11.30 am on Saturday. The mishap took place while the vehicle was travelling from Siliguri to Gangtok.
As per the information, a driver and a passenger were in the army vehicle. The passenger reportedly sustained severe injuries while he jumped out of the vehicle.
He is undergoing treatment at Military Hospital, sources said.
However, a search and rescue operation is underway to trace the missing driver who fell into the river along with the vehicle.
The cause of the accident is yet to be ascertained.
Meanwhile, Army divers have been deployed to assist in rescue and search operations.
Help sustain honest journalism.
Kalimpong Superintendent of Police, civilian divers and rafters are also assisting in the search and rescue operation.
Also Read | Dikchu landslide: Sikkim mulls mass evacuation from sinking area
- Pakistan out of economic vulnerability phase: Finance Minister Dar
- Army unveils trophy of ‘Red Shield Assam Badminton’ tourney
- USTM mulls centre for sustainable development for Northeast
- Manipur: 130 weapons deposited in Imphal arms ‘dropbox’
- Arunachal to focus on people’s support for sustainable development
- ‘Biparjoy’ likely to intensify into extremely severe cyclonic storm in 12 hrs: IMD