GANGTOK: Senior Gynecologist Dr. Parasmani Karki of STNM Hospital has been suspended for being absent on duty that led to the death of a pregnant woman and her unborn foetus on January 13.
Dr. Karki was the gynaecologist supposed to be on duty when the tragic incident unfolded on January 13 following which 36-year-old Ongmit Lepcha lost her life the next morning.
There was no one at the hospital to treat the Khamdong resident, who was left unattended for more than 15 hours, including no doctor to undertake a C-section delivery of her unborn foetus. The patient bled profusely trying to deliver the unborn baby through vaginal (normal) delivery on her own, claims a source at STNM Hospital.
According to the government order, Dr. Karki has been ordered to not leave the state capital Gangtok, which serves as his headquarters, without prior permission until the investigation reaches its conclusion. He has been suspended under Sub Rule 1 of the rule 8 of Sikkim Government Servants (Discipline and Appeal) Rules, 1985.
- COVID-19 vaccine booster drive is faltering in US
- South Korea tests new virus steps as infections reach new high
- US university’s trustees vote to include caste as protected category
- New Biden-supported law proposes startup visas to attract talent to US
- UN: More than 50 million people affected by urban conflicts
- Biden’s big test: Proving he can rally allies against Putin