GANGTOK: Two persons were killed and one seriously injured in a road accident on at 12th mile, Jawaharlal Nehru Road in East Sikkim while returning from the Nathula border on Wednesday.
The deceased have been identified as 27-year-old Aruna Adhikari from Martam in East Sikkim and 33-year-old Laxmi Lama from Selep Tanki in Gangtok. The driver of the vehicle, 42-year-old Shamir Dewan, sustained critical injuries and is admitted to a hospital.
According to local police, the vehicle bearing registration number WB74-AZ-8476 (Blue Hyundai Venue) fell almost 1,500 feet after skidding off the road, presumably due to snow.
Among the two victims, Aruna Adhikari was a former student leader from Sikkim State University who also worked as a news reader with a local media house. Adhikari and Lama were colleagues at an insurance firm based in Gangtok.
- Arunachal: Dy CM holds meeting with APEDA, power department
- Pakistan ‘not completely optimistic’ of Taliban govt in Kabul: NSA
- Changes in IAS rules will up scope for abuse of power by Centre: ex-civil servants
- Entire nation’s eyes on us: Tata Sons chairman to AI employees
- Assembly polls: Public meetings for first phase in UP from Friday
- Meghalaya CM breaks silence over attending R-Day celebrations