Gangtok: Raj Bhawan, the official home of the Governor, and one of the heritage sites of Sikkim, is now open for tourists and the public. The initiative to make the heritage cottage and its premises public took place with a formal inauguration on December 27 in the presence of Chief Minister Prem Singh Golay and his cabinet.
The Raj Bhawan premises include statues of Subhash Chandra Bose and Sardar Vallabhbhai Patel, a 70-ft flag mast hoisting the National flag, medicinal plants and other attractions. Raj Bhawan will be open for public viewing from January 1, 2022, between 10 am to 12 pm and between 2 pm and 4 pm.
Governor Ganga Prasad and CM Prem Singh Golay inaugurated a photo exhibition organised by the IPR Department and released ‘The Heritage Building of Raj Bhawan at Gangtok’ brochure.
Chief Minister Prem Singh Golay, in his address, extended gratitude to the Governor for envisioning the development of the tourism sector in the state by opening the Raj Bhawan for the public and tourists. “The opening of the Raj Bhawan will be an additional asset for attracting both tourists and the local gentry, thus boosting tourism in the state of Sikkim,” he said.
Governor Ganga Prasad said, “People can now revel in the splendorous beauty and architecture of the building. This initiative will also be a stepping stone in bringing the eventful changes in the political history of the state while highlighting the documentation of Sikkim’s transformation into a democratic state of independent India.”
The programme also featured a cultural extravaganza presented by local artists, with a light and sound show as one of the main event highlights.
- Arunachal: Granddaughter of Mahatma Gandhi visits Ziro
- Taylor Swift and the end of the Hollywood writers strike: A tale of two media narratives
- Former Congress MLA KT Rokhaw resigns, joins MNF ahead of elections
- Manipuri-English film promoting gender-neutral fashion to be screened in Mumbai
- Manipur: Delhi court prolongs NIA custody of accused for eight days
- Meghalaya: 2 boys from Garo Hills set to join Hyderabad FC Under-17 team