GANGTOK: A doctor and sanitary attendant were stabbed by a random person on the 4th floor of STNM Hospital on Tuesday. The incident is said to have occurred around 12:51 pm today.
The individual was carrying a knife and started hurling at the doctor and the attendant trying to safeguard him. The victim doctor was identified as Dr Sanjay Upreti from the Cardiology Department.
No motive is known behind the vicious attack, while confirmation couldn’t be made whether the attacker was a patient or a former patient or a relative of the patient.
The victim doctor is under treatment in STNM. His condition was defined as ‘serious’. Sikkim Police personnel have reached the hospital.
Commenting on the shocking incident, Sikkim health minister MK Sharma said, “This is a very sad incident. This is shocking considering that doctors are working so hard to protect us all. We will take strict action against the person responsible. We will pray for the doctors speedy recovery.”
The assailant has been detained, say sources in the police. He was identified as Tshering Bhutia, 42, a resident of Tathangchen.
Sikkim Raj Bhavan premises to be open for public viewing from Jan 1
- Kurseong to be hub of Nepali radio broadcasting in India from Apr 1
- Par panel recommends new law to define power, functions of CBI
- Sikkim: Grandson kills 80-year-old grandfather
- Mizoram: Polling for 99 village councils in MADC on April 18
- Naga issue, oppn-less govt, illegal immigrants at centre of Assembly session
- Assam: Students sensitised on importance of biodiversity