Gangtok: The much-awaited inauguration of Bhaichung Stadium in Namchi, South Sikkim, on October 20 stands cancelled due to bad weather conditions and torrential downpour noticed across Sikkim and Darjeeling Hills.
The inauguration was scheduled to be carried out by Vice President M. Venkaiah Naidu on Wednesday. But with the weather playing truant, all other scheduled official programmes have also been cancelled from October 20-22.
Even in the past, the vice president had made many attempts at visiting Sikkim, but bad weather always came in the way.
A statement released by Sikkim Sports Department reads, “Owing to persistent bad weather, the visit of the Vice President has been postponed. Likewise, the programme of inauguration of Bhaichung Stadium at Namchi, which was schedule for (tomorrow) October 20, has also been postponed and will now be held on October 22.”
Sports Secretary Raju Basnet said the time and items of the programme remain the same.
Elsewhere across the state, rains have wreaked havoc with reports of landslide on many state highways and national highways.
- Shah assures delegation from Sikkim of intervention amid protests over SC observation
- Opposition MPs protest in Parliament premises on Adani issue
- Meghalaya 2023: Denied BJP ticket, ex-MLA joins TMC for North Tura
- Nagaland polls: CM Neiphiu Rio files nomination
- SC observation on Sikkimese Nepalis: Rijiju says Centre to file review petition
- Mizoram Assembly to pass resolution opposing Uniform Civil Code