Gangtok: Following the declaration of two new districts in the State in Soreng (currently West Sikkim) and Pakyong (currently East Sikkim), earlier this year, Sikkim Chief Minister Prem Singh Golay announced that the names of all four districts will undergo a name change.
Addressing the public of Pakyong, East Sikkim, the Chief Minister highlighted how with the formation of two new districts, the nomenclature for the other 4 districts will also undergo a change.
He stated, “With Pakyong and Soreng maintaining their respective names as the district, we have decided that other districts will also undergo a nomenclature change. Each district will take the name of their respective district capital, such as West Sikkim will become Geyzing District, North Sikkim will become Mangan district, East Sikkim will become Gangtok district and South Sikkim will become Namchi district.”
The Chief Minister also announced that the same will create newer positions, two in particular for Soreng and Pakyong, with an entire range of government officials, district officials from DCs to SDMs, to even the Superintendent of Police, mentioned Golay.
Although the districts have been announced, the Chief Minister informed that a legislative discussion and an Act will be passed in the Sikkim Legislative Assembly.
- IIT-Guwahati shares energy efficient cookstoves tech with industry partner
- Maha: Man held for duping shopkeepers by calling in woman’s voice
- Mizoram: 40,000 kg Areca nuts worth Rs 1.56 crore recovered
- BJP workers attacking Raijor Dal workers: Akhil Gogoi
- Vincent Pala’s statement on jhum cultivation not based on facts: NESFAS
- Denmark Open: PV Sindhu loses in quarters