New Delhi: Sikkim CM Prem Singh Golay on Saturday urged Union defence minister Rajnath Singh to shift the temporary camp of Indian Army located at Yume Samdong zero point in North Sikkim district to Shonkoten.
Terming the request as a wish of the people of Lachung Dzumsa, Golay said that the area is of great religious significance and is a renowned pilgrimage and tourist destination.
Golay made the request during his visit to the official residence of the defence minister in New Delhi. The Sikkim CM also raised several other matters concerning the state. He was accompanied by ministers BS Pant and Dr MK Sharma and Lok Sabha MP Indra Hang Subba.
The CM also apprised the defence minister concerning the establishment of a Key Location Point (KLP) under Chungthang sub-division in North Sikkim on the land identified by the defence ministry. The Sikkim CM informed Singh that the people are willing to provide land as per rates notified by the state government.
The Sikkim CM also raised the issue of tunnelling from Sirwani to Gangtok, Sirwani to Legship and Sirwani to Namchi, for which a detailed project report (DPR) has been prepared by the roads & bridges department of the state. He also requested the defence minister to raise two more battalions of Sikkim Scouts in the Indian Army.
- PM urges global investors to explore Indian energy sector
- Budget a ‘silent strike’ on poor by Modi govt: Sonia Gandhi
- We want to diversify ties with India: Russian Ambassador Alipov
- 108 South Koreans on pilgrimage of Buddhist sites in India, Nepal
- Soon, train passengers can order food via WhatsApp
- Italy-based Indian man held for impersonating Vice President