Gangtok: In a tragic loss, renowned social worker Pintso Bhutia died of COVID 19 on Monday. The 29-year-old from Khasey, Samdong, Tumin Lingee constituency, was a well-known social worker and worked in the tourism sector for years.
Bhutia had set up many home-stays with local NGOs in the past few years. He was a supporter of the Sikkim Krantikari Morcha and helped the party ensure victory in 2019.
He studied in Samdong and didn’t pursue education beyond school.
Bhutia recently organised a Holi Football Cup, where 24 teams had taken part in Rangpo Ground in March.
Pintso Bhutia was in the hospital with suspected tuberculosis as his lungs had developed medical issues. He was in Singtam district hospital around two weeks ago, and all his COVID tests were negative.
He was moved to the respiratory ward at the STNM Hospital on April 24. He was later shifted to the ICU even though he was COVID negative. But after his condition deteriorated, he was shifted to the COVID ICU a week ago.
Netizens have expressed grief for the loss, with most remembering his unbiased attitude towards all, while others spoke about how young he was.
- Mizoram: 40,000 kg Areca nuts worth Rs 1.56 crore recovered
- BJP workers attacking Raijor Dal workers: Akhil Gogoi
- Vincent Pala’s statement on jhum cultivation not based on facts: NESFAS
- Denmark Open: PV Sindhu loses in quarters
- Bar Himanta from by-poll campaign: Cong leader writes to poll panel
- Vaccination drive a success because of you all: Arunachal CM to healthcare workers