Gangtok: An undertrial, who was accused of robbery and snatching, allegedly died by suicide at the Paljor Stadium COVID-19 care centre in Sikkkm‘s capital Gangtok on Saturday afternoon.
The deceased was kept at the COVID-19 care centre after he tested positive for COVID-19. He was to be taken to Rongneyk jail after he recovered from the virus.
According to police sources, the man — identified as Navin Chettri — died by suicide at 12.30 pm on Saturday. “He was 40 years old and hailed from North Sikkim. He had stolen gold jewelry from an elderly person,” the sources added.
There were six COVID-19 patients in the COVID-19 care centre at the time of the incident, said sources. “The doctors paid him a visit in the morning, after which he died by suicide,” they added.
- Tripura polls: BJP to contest in 55 seats; ally IPFT to fight in 5
- Death and dying: how different cultures deal with grief, mourning
- PM to campaign for BJP in poll-bound Meghalaya
- Why it isn’t surprising when the pope says being gay ‘isn’t a crime’
- Space sector associations from Indo-Pacific join hands to explore new opportunities
- What effect will lunar new year have on COVID spread in China?